Friday, October 27, 2006
A little talk w/ COACH
On Thurs night I had to have a serious phonecon w/ my Coach. A few issues had been "on my mind" and I needed to have a mano-y-mano talk. Here's a bulletized list of my issues and their solutions (from the phonecon w/ Coach).

Issue- Long term Training Sked- I need a general plan for how much (time, distance and intensity) I'll be working over the next year. I travel alot and have many things coming up (Skiing on weekends throughout the winter) that I'd like to be able to fit into my sked w/ the training.
Solution- He's gonna accompany me on my long ride Nov 11th (after I return from vacation) and we'll hammer it out for a couple hours while getting a good workout. Also, he gets to observe my cycling form and give me some pointers...

Issue- Coach had been getting my training sked to me late, or last minute on a few occasions, making it hard to plan in advance for non-training social events. Solution- He'd admitted to being late on a few occasions and promised not to let it happen agian. He also noticed that I happened to be slightly Type A (no kidding), and that making out my sked farther in advance would be better for him anyway. We reached an understanding that although each of his athletes had different needs, I NEEDED my training schedule a month in advance.

Issue- I bailed on a Duathlon race I'd told him I'd be racing on Sunday. He'd made my week's training sked accordingly, so by not doing it, there were some training adaptions that needed to be made. Part of this scheduling gliche came from the fact that the sked was late from him anyway.
Solution- We adjusted my sked to add a longer run on Friday, longer bike on Saturday and a day of rest on Sunday.

Issue- My GF and I will be on vacation Nov 2-8. I wanted to make sure I had no workouts sked during our trip, as I'll have no bike, no pool and the GF would surely kill me if I went out on a run while we could be sightseeing.
Solution- Vacation time works as a natural 'recovery' week, and he'd have my training plan waiting for me when I got back.

Issue- I'd been working out on his sked for about 4 weeks w/ no real recovery or break. Usually, periodized training skeds have an "active recovery" week planned into the sked every 3rd or 4th week.
Solution- see the last solution. Also, since my training load (hours) and intensity is relatively low (around 7-8hrs/wk) and I'm in a transition phase, he was just trying to establish some consistency in my new sked.

Issue- I signed up for another CX race Sat, 18NOV in Plymouth, MA- Beginner category. This will be my last race before the Country Music Marathon at the end of April (unless Coach thought I need a warm up road race before then).
Solution- Coach said OK, then said after that race it'd probably be getting cold enough that riding outside would probably diminish. Therefore, he'd planned on adding another run to my sked around that time. He also recommended a 1/2 marathon around the middle of March for a pre-race tune-up/test.

Issue- Supplements...I asked Coach what he could tell me about the following supplements- Amino Acid, Glucosamine (Sulfate or Chondroitin), Flaxseed Oil, or Fish Oil?
Solution- He said not all supplements are created equal and that none are regulated. He said the Glucosamine (either) was good for joints (very good, since I'm already taking it). He said Amino Acids (most animal proteins) and Fish Oil (salmon and walnuts) are in a good balanced diet, and it's best to get them in the foods they come in vice a pill. He said pills can get expensive quick (especially if you only buy from GNC...where they supposedly know what they're pushing), and that there really was no regulating source...and no regulations that required supplement companies to put the actual amount of the given element per pill that they're actually advertising. Besides, he said until I was training more intensely, he didn't recommend taking the Amino Acids.

Well, overall, it was a productive and informative conversation...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home