Friday, October 20, 2006
5K running race- Newport, RI...20OCT
I ran the Surface Navy Association 5K By the Bay on base in Newport, RI on Friday. Conditions were perfect for a good run. It was about 50 degrees and had rained most of the day, but the rain let up just in time for the race start at 5pm. Since I raced by myself, I decided to see how much I could push it over the 3.2mile course.

My usual running pace is somewhere between a 10-11min/mile (below my Anaerobic Threshold). However, I wanted to see if I could maintain around an 8:20 min/mile pace (25min finish goal) for the 5K.

Inevitably, my HR hovered around 140 prior to start (pre-race jitters) and I started off with a much faster pace than I should have (7:30 miles, I think). I settled into my pace about halfway in and was able to stay at around an 8min/mile till about mile 2.5...then a stabbing pain hit me in my shoulder like a bolt of lightning, and I slowed to about a 10:30min/mile pace to let the pain subside. I think this was because I was pushing my body a little too hard the first couple miles.

Overall, my legs felt great, stomach a little touchy, and I finished in 25mins 7secs.
Almost right on track with my 8:20 overall pace. AvHR was 174 throughout.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home