Monday, October 02, 2006
Why a Triathlon Coach?
As getting to IRONMAN is gonna be a challenge in and of itself, I decided I better set up as many support structures (ie, obstacles to quitting) as I possible could. This blog is one of them and so was the decision to hire a Coach.

I listen to numerous Triathlon Podcasts like - Get Your Geek On, Zen and the Art of Triathlon, and Simply Stu - these podcasts are truly informative and I got the idea to hire a coach off a couple of these shows. But why do I need a coach? Am I going to be on the podium at my next race? Am I gonna be competitive in my age group? Am I gonna get a sponsor too? Well, the answer to all these questions is "HELL NO!", but I am getting ready to embark on a year long journey that is gonna take up a significant amount of time and effort. So...the money is worth it to me.

I met my coach at a Fitness Expo the day before I ran the Narragansett FIRMMAN. He was there with Amy Rice, an athlete that he coaches (who was the 2nd overall woman finisher at FIRMMAN). I'd been researching online coaching options for a few weeks and had so far come up empty handed. I was still unsure whether I wanted to pay someone to do something I was to lazy to do myself. After all, I've read at least a dozen books on triathlon already and have seen numerous full Ironman plans that I could adopt for my training. That makes me an expert right? WRONG! After talking with my 'soon-to-be-coach' at the Expo, then on the phone a week later, I decided to take the plunge. He lives a couple towns over from me and having a local coach, vice an online, cookie-cutter one really appealed to me. Here's a link to the info page on my coach's website...it lists what he has to offer. He charges $150/month (plus a $50 setup fee) and I had to pay 3 months in advance. So on Friday, I paid the initial $500 (OAHWW!) for the first three months service. That price may seem steep upon initial glance, but considering all he'll help me with (and compared to other tri coaches that only offer online consulting), it's not that bad. After all, he's gonna help me become an IRONMAN.


2 Comments:

Blogger Steve the Creator said...

I personally think that workout partners are a must (at least in the beginning). However, I don't think I could hire a coach. I just think that there are some alternatives (more economical alternatives) that could be tried first (ie. running clubs, advertising at the base gym, etc). But, I know that it boils down to the desire to push your body to its limit for that runner's high. It is a high! So more power to you and your endeavers. You know I am always there for a good run or workout.

Blogger Steve the Creator said...

Boo-ya! I am unblocked now! Unleash the fury...!

Post a Comment

<< Home