Thursday, October 12, 2006
Training update
Well, I have almost 2 weeks of my new training under my belt and I figured I'd write an update on how things are going. So here's the just of my training...w/ comments.

Oct 2-8.
BIKE- Had three bike rides (M-1:30, Th- :45, Su- 2:30), the first one had me doing some off road work in prep for my upcoming CX race next weekend, the second ride was a brick workout (followed immediately by a run), and the last one was my endurance day. I covered 67 miles and am trying to keep HR low and Cadence high (at least above 80RPM ave for ride).
RUN- Had 3 runs as well (T- 8M, Th- 4M, F- 3M), the first was a long endurance run, second was a "tempo" workout, and third was an easy 5K. My coach has me working on cadence (count foot strikes on one leg for 15secs & X4 = Run cadence), mine is low and he wants me to slowly work it up to 90RPMs. Also, I'm working on form...ie "running tall". This has me tuck my hips under my pelvis and keep chest up. It's very different running style, but it gets you up on the ball of your feet and is more efficient overall. Also, in my tempo run, I did 4 "stride" drills. Here's Coach's definition of the drill - Stride: From a walk or slow jog, gradually increase pace for about 0:30. By the end you should be running fast, but not straining. The idea is to loosen up by increasing your speed without exerting great effort! Don't reach a full sprint. Focus on good form: Running tall, hips forward, butt in/under, chest up and out. Supposedly, this teaches my fast twitch muscles to work more efficiently, or something like that ;) Overall, I covered 15 miles and ran for 2hrs 45mins.
SWIM- Wed was my only swim day. I had a lot of fun with this workout since it was the first real swim workout I've ever had. By that, I mean, I've never had a swim coach who wrote drills into my workout...well, it's probably easier just to tell you what the workout consisted of...
(1890yds total, 56 mins),
Warm up: 140y long & relaxed;
Drill Set: 2x70 (1st length fist drill, 2nd swim) w/ 0:45 rest
2x70 catch-up, 0:45 rest
Main Set: 3x (210, 1:30 rest; 140, 1:00 rest; 70, 0:30 rest)
Sprints: 4x35 fast, 0:30 rest
Cool Down: 70 easy

So far this week, the sched has been almost the same...Monday's Bike had more time in the dirt/grass (45 mins total). I really enjoy that part of the ride, but since it comes last, it's a pain in the AXX and usually maxes out my HR. Tue's run was a mile longer (9M total, I ran this w/ my buddy Steve). Wed's swim was 110 longer, but virtually the same workout. Today's run was 1 mile longer (5Ms). Coach is also trying to learn my HR zones so he can write plans more specific to the intensity he wants me to train to. This is a very personal thing to figure out, as a 10min mile pace for me, is probably a very different intensity than what you might run it at. Thus, the HR zone experiments. Tomorrow I'll ride an easy 45 mins in the morning and run an easy 3Ms in the aft/eve. Then it's a long endurance ride on Sat for 2hrs30mins, I'll probably do this one with my buddy Tom.

So...that's my first two week's in a nutshell.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home