Friday, October 20, 2006
Coaching/Training update- 20OCT
Here's a little update on my all around training progress, along with my coach's reply email.
---------------------------
Coach,

Had a couple days that my Garmin was on the fritz (on my TEMPO day of all days! ) so data is not as good as it could be. But, I did have a small problem this weekend. I've been having allergy/sinus problems since the beginning of fall that affected my wkd workouts. On Sat, this weekend, something had me all fucked up. I couldn't breath out of my nose, had a sinus headache, itchy watery eyes and a running nose. Needless to say it sidelined me Sat-Mon. I took some drugstore allergy meds on Sun to try to get my long ride in, but to no avail and had to cut it short. I went to the Dr. Tues morn and got some prescription strenght CLARITIN, so hopefully that'll keep me healthy. I felt better Tues (and had my best long run ever on Tues) and Wed.

I adjusted the sked a little this week, hopefully it's not too much of a mess. I ended up taking Sat and Monday off completely, so I missed over half my long ride, and the Tues ride too. On Tues, I did my 10M run since I thought the run is what I have the most probs w/. I know it might have screwed up your Swim TT data, but I'd rather spend a day working on running since it's my Nemesis. Tell me what you think.

I put all the data in the worksheet for eveything so far this week too (10M on Tues and Swim TT today). The running is feeling better already, I think the "running tall" tecnique, strides and tempo runs are already helping. The run has gone from my nemesis to a fun challenge already. I feel like I can keep my HR lower at a higher min/mile pace now too. Maybe around 10:30 min/miles keep my HR around 155 instead of the 11min/mile pace you saw at the track. Is it just in my mind or could this be improving my running already? Just wondering.

Also, thanks for the IRONMAN info, I think I'm set on ChessyMan (29SEP07). The others just don't work with my sked. But thanks for the options. Can't register till Feb07 though (just got that info from the race director yesterday).

Also, I'm on new diet plan. I paid for a year at LA Weight Loss...I know it's a gimmicky thing (although my Mom lost 100lbs w/ them), but I need someone to hound me about my food choices and portion control, or I'll continue to be a gluton. So far so good. I go in 3X's a week and have to get on a scale and show them my food diary. It's annoying, but it seems to be working. I started OCT 3rd and am already down 8lbs. They've got me on a 2200-2500 calorie/day diet. I'm still taking gels/endurance drinks during my longer runs and bikes...don't want to run out of fuel then.

My plan has me eating the following portions per day. 2.5 proteins (ex- 8 oz raw chicken), 4 starches (1/2 whole wheat english muffin), 4 vegetables (1 cup salad), 4 fruits (1/2 bananna), 2 dairies (8 oz skim milk), and 1 fat ( 1 oz olive oil). Seems pretty balanced, and so far I haven't been starving (except for the first week). It's probably good I'm doing this in the off season. As training hours go up and I hit my desired weight, I'll have to adjust the caloric intake to match my intensity levels. But it's a good start, and I'm trying to get to 195lbs by the end of January.

Well, sorry for the long email...let me know what you think. I'll send updates when I'm done racing this weekend.
Hope all is well w/ you...
----------------------------------
Coach's Reply-

Hey great news on both the run and nutrition! You could easily make the jump from 11 to 10:30 pace at the same HR. A little technique focus/improvement could make that difference!

I am happy to hear about the commitment to wt. loss and nutrition. After reviewing your food log it was obvious to me that unless you made some changes, you would be limited in your progress. I switched my eating completely around in my mid-20's when I started training seriously and it made a big difference with my training.

The wt. loss / improved running relationship is easy to see, but you should also see increased energy and better recovery from workouts as your nutrition improves. I can only give you the information, but with the program you will now be held accountable on a regular basis. Good move! Focus on making permanent eating changes and the wt. will not continue to hold you back!

Lastly, don't get stressed if you end up missing workouts due to illness or feeling like you are getting run down. It happens and will not have a big impact in the overall picture. You are usually better off to cut something short or skip it, than to try and push through only to lengthen the sickness.

All things considered, I think ChessyMan is the way to go!

Good Luck This Weekend!
Coach


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home