Sunday, October 22, 2006
Cyclocross Debut- Southington, CT...22OCT

Today's race was very difficult. CX is an ASS-Kicker! My HR was maxed out the whole time. Overall, my effort was more intense than Fri's 5K. I have a lot to learn about CX and esp. the training needed to be competitive. These races are an all out sprint!!!!

I did a 30 min race with the beginner class (about 30 competitors in this class). However, most were CX veterans, not beginners (but maybe, I'm just really slow). I made it around 3 laps before they called the race (ie- I was lapped by the leaders at the end of my third lap). I guess the race ends when the leaders are near the start/finish and around 30mins (sometimes shorter, sometimes longer) have elapsed.

The course was excellent, but very challenging. Lots of >90 degree turns, and many obstacles I had to carry my bike up/over. There was 1 very steep hill, 3 'smaller' hills, 3 "sand pits", one set of 40 stairs, and one ravine that was un-pedal-able. I avg'd 8mph speed wise, max- 18mph. My AvHR was 174, MaxHR- 184.

I finished at the back of the pack (maybe 28th out of 30). Many small children, 2 girls on MT bikes, and a 60yr old dude whizzed by me...which was a bit demoralizing. However, it was just my first CX race... Overall the course was fun and challenging, the race was well run, and I had a good time. I think I'll try this a couple more times (Nov??) before the cold of winter sets in.

Check out the videos my GF took w/ her digital camera. They're viewable on YouTube.com...here are the links-

1. Sand and Stairs run...
2. Racing a 12 year old through a sand pit...
3. Charging a Ravine...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home